Hamilton Mausoleum is a mausoleum located in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. It was the resting place of the family of the Dukes of Hamilton. Built in the grounds of the now-demolished Hamilton Palace, its high stone used to hold the record for the longest echo in the world, taking 15 seconds for the sound of a slammed door to fade
Chatelherault Country Park is a country park in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. Its name is derived from the French town of Châtellerault, having been granted to James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Arran in 1548 for his part in arranging the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots, to Francis, Dauphin of France. From 1591, Hamilton Palace became the main residence of the Dukes of Hamilton.
Hamilton Townhouse is a building in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, which is operated by South Lanarkshire Council. It contains both the town's main public hall (formerly known as Hamilton Town Hall) and public library, as well as various council departments including licensing and community learning. The building, although appearing to be one, was actually built in stages over a 21 year period.
Bothwell Bridge Lido is located on the south west side of Bothwell Bridge in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The lido is quite unique, with the water being the River Clyde. It also has quite grand Victorian style gardens named "Lido Gardens". This is easiest to see from the Clyde Walkway
Hamilton Park Racecourse is a thoroughbred horse racing venue in Hamilton, Scotland to the south of Glasgow. It is a flat racing venue, with a season which runs from May to October. Racing has been staged in Hamilton since 1782 and it is now part of Scotland’s great sporting heritage. More than two centuries worth of punters have visited the course wanting to place a bet or simply just enjoy a grand day out at the races.
Strathaven Castle is located in the centre of the small town of Strathaven, in South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The ruin is publicly accessible. Also known as Avondale Castle, the ruin and mound is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The origins of the castle are obscure, but it is believed to have been built around 1350 by the Bairds, on a bend of the Powmillon Burn. Later the castle passed to the Sinclairs and then to the Earls of Douglas. After the suppression of the Earls of Douglas by James II in 1455, the castle was sacked and slighted. Little or nothing of the early castle remains.
Alexandra Hamilton Memorial Park The public park was made possible due to the kind generosity of a former native of Stonehouse. On 30th May 1925 Alexander Hamilton fulfilled his dream and presented the park, bandstand and fountain to his native town. He died four years later. The park itself was probably better known for the longest chute in Scotland, opened in 1933 by Councillor Thomas Wilson and later dismantled in 1967 for safety reasons. Sadly this park is only a shell of its former glory but the bandstand still stands majestically as a silent memory of its illustrious and historical past.
The David Livingstone Centre is a biographical museum in Blantyre, South Lanarkshire, Scotland, dedicated to the life and work of the explorer and missionary David Livingstone. The centre is operated by the David Livingstone Trust and is housed in a category A listed building. It is located in the former mill buildings which once housed 24 families including Livingstone's, and where he was born on 19 March 1813. The centre depicts Livingstone's life from his early childhood working in the mill, to his African explorations. These are illustrated with the aid of various pieces of his navigational and medical equipment, interspersed with African artefacts.
Larkhall Robert Smillie Memorial Park Gates. Originally an entrance to Broomhill with lodge adjacent (as shown on 1897 OS map). The park was dedicated to Robert Smillie and was opened on the 8th June 1957. Robert Smillie spent 15 years working in the Larkhall coal mines and was a famous personality in the area, in his latter years becoming an activist for the rights of workers. He became an agent for the Larkhall miners and President of Lanarkshire Miner's County Organisation. He then went on to become the President of the Scottish Miners' Federation and the chairman of The Scottish Union Trades Congress, among other influential posts. Along with the better known Keir Hardie, he was instrumental in forming the Independent Labour Party.
THOMAS TUNNOCK WAS BORN IN UDDINGSTON His family go back several generations in the parish. His father John Tunnock was a joiner and coffin maker and had an advertisement on the main road into Uddingston. It read “Why live a miserable life when for 30 bob you can be buried comfortably”. After leaving school Thomas served his apprenticeship in Aberdour Bakery. Tom worked hard and saved enough money to buy a bakery in Uddingston for £80 and Thomas Tunnock was Est in December 1890.
The Council Headquarters building, on Almada Street, Hamilton, was built as the Lanark County Buildings in 1963, and designed by Lanark council architect D G Bannerman. The 16 storey, 165 foot tower is the largest in Hamilton, and is a highly visible landmark across this part of the Clyde Valley. The modernist design was influenced by the United Nations building in New York. Glass curtain walls cover the north and south facades, with the narrow east and west sides being blank white walls. At the front of the building is the circular council chamber, and a plaza with water features. It is known by locals as the "County Buildings
In amongst the decades of the local history grew Radio Lanarkshire is a new born station in the Heart of Lanarkshire Home too the finest perfected radio station locally. It was originally started up by 3 radio enthusiastic but has since grown into a team of almost 20 people of various ages. Radio Lanarkshire aims to cover South Lanarkshire on FM in the very near future and will play a wide variety of music from the 60's to the Charts. Radio Lanarkshire is always after volunteers so why not download an application on the contact page and apply to join our amazing team.
Carluke is Clydesdale's largest town with a population of 13,300. It sits on a high plateau overlooking the River Clyde, right in the heart of Lanarkshire's fruit growing area. The town was chartered as a Royal Burgh in 1662. Carluke expanded during through the industrial age, with work involving corn milling, cotton weaving, coal mining and the manufacture of bricks, glass, confectionery and jam.